Role: Horticulture Principal Scientist
Package: Dependent on Experience
MBio uses natural science to enhance and unlock nutrients from mushrooms that will help meet the challenge of global food security. We are leaders in the development of vitamin and mineral enriched mushrooms through natural science, including selenium and two major deficiencies in the vegan diet – vitamins D and B12.
Launched in 2012, MBio is part of the Monaghan Mushrooms group, with 3,500 employees across Ireland, the UK, Europe and Canada. Our team of 50 includes 16 PhDs who draw on our unique culture collection, MBioBank, to innovate products for the food production industry and our parent company.
More specifically, our mushroom powders provide ingredients for functional food, sports and nutraceutrical markets. MBio have also developed a unique range of high mushroom content meat free products.
The deliverables of the Principal Scientist role include:
- Contribute to the ideation of programs to set the Industry 4.0 of sustainable mushroom production
- Integrate a range of scientific disciplines to crack the boundaries of mushroom science
- Design and development of projects that will define the future of mushroom production
- Project management of horticulture projects from concept to completion
- Working in conjunction with Monaghan’s Engineering, Compost and Harvesting teams project manage the scale up of successful projects / outcomes into operational environments
- Inspire and lead project team members
- Obtain and maintain funding support for research activities
- Budget and resource management
- Development of technical reports and presentation of data to team members and other stakeholders, including company executives
- Inspire the wider team through crystal clear communication
Competencies to perform the role
- A passionate belief in sustainability
- Teamwork: a strong ability to build effective teams within the MBio and broader Monaghan Group
- Communication: Must have excellent interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Can do attitude: Must have a ‘can do’ entrepreneurial attitude with a focus on ‘doing the right stuff’ and ‘getting stuff done’
- Growth: A thirst to learn, grow and keep in touch with innovation within the wider industry
- Organisation: Highly efficient administration, detail focussed and exacting on time
- Research standards: conduct research according to the general principles of good research based on honesty, cooperation and responsibility on accurate data acquisition and storage and managing appropriately any conflicts of interest
- Foster external network to stay on the cutting edge of science and to support project success
Experience and Qualifications
- Possess a PhD in Horticultural Science or related plus 3 years of research experience
- Possess an MSc in Horticultural Science or related plus 5+ years of research experience
- A proven track record in translating successful science into an operating environment;
- Direct experience in project and people management
- Possess excellent computer skills including databases, excel, word and statistical packages
- Possess excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), excellent interpersonal and presentation skills as well as being team focused
- Proven record of attention to detail and work with a sense of urgency yet have the ability to be impartial and objective
Performing the role in line with the Monaghan Cultural Values:
- We do the right thing: We use this philosophy to drive every aspect of our business, from product, to process to people.
- Forward Thinking: We think ahead and we think for the long term.
- Down to Earth: We understand the importance of communicating our discoveries in a straightforward way.
- Inspiring: We seek out new ways to excite and inspire each other.
- Egalitarian: We have always been grounded in the belief that everyone is equal. That everyone deserves an equal chance to speak, be heard and make an impact
For more information or to apply for this exciting opportunity please apply to George Christoudias on firstname.lastname@example.org. All enquires will be forwarded to Eden Search and Select.