MBio uses natural science to enhance and unlock nutrients from mushrooms that will help meet the challenge of global food security. We are leaders in the development of vitamin and mineral enriched mushrooms through natural science, including selenium and two major deficiencies in the vegan diet – vitamins D and B12.
Launched in 2012, MBio is part of the Monaghan Mushrooms group, with 3,500 employees across Ireland, the UK, Europe and Canada. Our team of 50 includes 16 PhDs who draw on our unique culture collection, MBioBank, to innovate products for the food production industry and our parent company.
More specifically, our mushroom powders provide ingredients for functional food, sports and nutraceutrical markets. MBio have also developed a unique range of high mushroom content meat free products.
Reporting to Chief Commercial Officer the Head of NPD will be responsible to successfully scale the current range of meat free products and drive the development of the next range of meat free products.
- Have significant experience of managing the growing, harvesting and packing of food crops or flowers.
- Have significant experience of supplying UK retailers within their food or flowers supply chain
- Have lead multifunctional teams with full site accountability
- NEBOSH certificate level in health and safety
- Likely to have a degree in Agriculture/Horticulture, Manufacturing, Human Resource or Science
- Experience working in both large family and corporate businesses
- Develop world beating meat free products
- Full ownership of Meat Free New Product Development process
- Perform market research on products, companies, technologies and ingredients in the meat free space
- Customer engagement on NPD concepts
- Develop a pipeline of future meat free products ideas and recipes
- Modify and improve existing recipes
- Prototype development
- Economic modelling of recipes
- Material input into the design and layout of future generations of meat free production facility upgrade
- Process development for production of recipes at large scale
- Ensure full compliance with safety and food hygiene standards and policies;
- Conduct production test runs
- Verification of ingredient lists, nutritional information (software led) and shelf life;
- Plan and run tasting panels
- Develop ingredient sourcing strategy
- Engaging with suppliers to research and source ingredients and ensure effective management of same
- Develop efficient use of nutritional formulation software
- Assist in the performance of scientific analysis on ingredients and products
- Input into the development of recipe and process based cost models
- Grant funding project management
Competencies to perform the role
- Highly innovative and customer oriented
- Genuine interest in science and how it is applied to food
- High standards of cleanliness and the ability to adhere to strict hygiene rules
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication, people and influencing skills
- A flexible approach to working
- Strong team working abilities
- Ability to use Microsoft office suite.
Experience and Qualifications
- Relevant third level degree from the following subject areas:
- food, nutrition and health
- food safety and quality management
- food science/technology
- new product development / food innovation
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- People management experience
- Strong working knowledge of ingredient functionality, flavour, formulation, nutrition and food labelling regulations
- Strong communicator
- Ability to manage multiple projects
Performing the role in line with the Monaghan and mBio Cultural Values:
- We do the right thing: We use this philosophy to drive every aspect of our business, from product, to process to people.
- Forward Thinking: We think ahead and we think for the long term.
- Down to Earth: We understand the importance of communicating our discoveries in a straightforward way.
- Inspiring: We seek out new ways to excite and inspire each other.
- Egalitarian: We have always been grounded in the belief that everyone is equal. That everyone deserves an equal chance to speak, be heard and make an impact
For more information or to apply for this exciting opportunity please apply to George Christoudias on firstname.lastname@example.org. All enquires will be forwarded to Eden Search and Select.