BASF create chemistry for a sustainable future. They combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, they enable customers in nearly every type of industry in the UK to meet the current and future needs of society. With a key focus on customers as individuals, BASF seize opportunities and think ahead making sustainability part of every decision, they are committed to strict compliance and high environmental standards across the group.
BASF Agricultural Solutions Ltd, the research driven crop protection division, now require a home-based Agricultural Sustainability Manager to lead and support the creation and implementation of the agri-environmental aspects of the BASF Sustainability offer for the UK/IRE business.
As Agriculture Sustainability Manager you will:
- Manage relationships with key influencers, stakeholders and partners related to agricultural sustainability and environmental management to develop trusted relationships and support our agricultural stewardship/sustainability strategy.
- Position BASF and yourself within the marketplace as the trusted Agricultural Sustainability Thought Leader using your reach and influence to support achievement of the BASF Sustainability Strategy, beyond Freedom and Licence to operate.
- Manage the environmental and agronomic overview activities of the sustainability farm platforms in the UK.
- Jointly ensure with Global Sustainability (SE) that the monitoring and scientific outputs from the two UK farms are embedded into the global climate smart farming metrics.
- Coordinate visit programmes within Agricultural Solutions UK/ Ireland and the wider BASF organisation in the UK to maximise value and influence.
- Be accountable for the development and implementation of sustainability projects and environmental monitoring to deliver to predefined objectives and support sustainability targets within budget.
- Support the development and implementation of sustainable farming business models within Agricultural Solutions UK/ Ireland, utilise the sustainability farm platforms as back drops to host discussions and provide evidence points where possible.
- Share expertise with other regions as agreed with Head of Technical Management.
- Represent the UK within the BASF Agricultural Solutions global sustainability network.
- Manage the agricultural sustainability budget resource to support the key aspects and implementation of the sustainability strategy to maintain BASF’s licence to operate/freedom to operate.
- Sponsor key flagship projects which complement the BASF sustainability strategy.
- Educated to degree level in agriculture/agri-environmental science or related discipline.
- Extensive experience in the industry in a agri-environmental / agricultural relevant sustainability role.
- A BASIS Certification in crop protection would be an advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to understand and interpret data and detailed scientific reports.
- Ability to understand and interpret government policy related to agriculture, farmed environment and ‘sustainable agriculture/land use’.
- Ability to combine agronomic and environmental knowledge with effective influencing skills which address agricultural and broader target audiences (these may include relevant non-governmental organisations, policy stakeholders and politicians).
- Able to work within and sometimes lead multiple disciplinary teams to deliver on our sustainability strategy/commitments.
- In addition to that you demonstrate a high level of agri-environmental expertise, and you can develop compelling argumentation balancing productive conventional agriculture with effective environmental management.
- You will proactively shape, represent and respond to developing agri-environmental and agriculturally relevant ESG trends.
- Beyond that you will represent our business in UK stakeholder groups and within the BASF sustainability network, actively contributing to shape its direction for the future.
- A valid driving licence is required (travel is required on a national and European basis with nights away depending on business need).
- This position is home-based in the UK (being located within a two-hour drive from our platform sites in Northamptonshire and South Yorkshire would be preferable).
If you believe you have the experience, passion for sustainability and network to be successful in this role then please call Helen Lodge at Eden Search & Select on 0113 834 6634 for a confidential discussion. Eden Search & Select are managing all applications on behalf of BASF.